Tyres are an important part of a car as they bear a lot to provide comfort and a hassle-free journey. They are essential for safe driving as they are a link between your vehicle and the road. Maintaining tyres is important otherwise, they can cause problems while driving.
We all must have experienced a flat tyre while driving to the office or somewhere else. When you get stuck in a place where no help or a car mechanic is available, the role of Run Flat Tyres becomes important. Run Flat Tyres are common now as these tyres allow you to continue driving after a puncture so that you can reach a safe place to change your tyre.
Run Flat Tyres Lincoln provide you with extra 50 miles at a limited speed of 50 mph. Although, different car companies like Audi, BMW claim extra miles and speeds for their Run Flat Tyres. It is important to know the exact figure if your car has run-flat tyres.
HOW DO RUN-FLAT TYRES WORK?
They have a reinforced sidewall that supports them with air pressure. When the tyre gets deflated due to a puncture, the strong sidewalls support the tread of the tyre. The sidewall of the tyre is strong enough to support the weight of the vehicle without compromising safety.
There are two types of run-flat tyres-
1. The Self- Supporting System
In a self-supporting system, the reinforced sidewall of the tyre is enough to support the weight of the car in case of a tyre puncture. This technology provides to continue driving up to the speed and distance provided by the manufacturer. The strong sidewalls do not let the tread damage and lose control of the car.
2. The Support Ring System
In the support ring system, a hard rubber ring or any hard substance is employed under the tyre instead of a tube. This ring supports the weight of the car in case of a deflated tyre. In addition, all run-flat tyres are equipped with Tyre Pressure Monitoring System (TPMS). It gives you the information regarding the air pressure of the tyre. Without TPMS, you will not get to know about the underinflated Car Tyres Lincoln.
ADVANTAGES OF RUN-FLAT TYRES
- The most obvious benefit of having run-flat tyres is safety. That is why these tyres are constructed so that you do not have to wait at some unsafe place or at the time of night to change a tyre.
- In an air loss situation from the tyres, run-flat tyres provide support and more control to the vehicle than conventional tyres.
- Cars with run-flat tyres do not have a spare wheel; this reduces the weight of the vehicle. It will allow for greater fuel economy.
DISADVANTAGES OF RUN-FLAT TYRES
- Run-flat tyres are expensive as they are costlier than conventional tyres. The repairing of these tyres is also costlier than the conventional tyres.
- The manufacturer of run-flat tyres recommends not to repair them by yourself. Instead, they should be repaired by professionals. It is recommended that they should be replaced rather than repaired.
- The cars with fitted run-flats do not have a spare wheel.
- Driving a car with run-flat tyres is less enjoyable, according to the drivers. The stiffer sidewalls of the tyre are less adept when the road has potholes and bumps.
MIXING RUN-FLAT TYRES WITH NORMAL TYRES
It is strongly recommended not to mix the two run-flat and normal tyres. Different tyres have different types of features. Mixing the two could lead to unpredictable handling of the car, resulting in some mishap or accident.
Whether you use conventional or run-flat tyres, always use similar tyres with the same tread pattern and from the same manufacturer.
Run-flat tyres have their benefits and advantages, and one can use them as per their needs. One should, however, keep in mind that they are a bit expensive and not meant for everyone. However, many big car companies are already providing these tyres in their cars.