Have you heard of collagen or collagen powder in cosmetic products? Yes, collagen powder is good for the skin, hair, nails and overall health. It is highly used in the cosmetic products
For starters, what is collagen?
Collagen is a fundamental protein in our body. In fact, it is the largest and most abundant protein in our body and makes up the connective tissue being present in the heart, lungs, arteries, discs, blood cells, skin, muscles, cartilage, bones, hair, joints, nails, etc. It is most important for the body’s building block and proper body function. Collagen is also described as a “glue” that means things that hold together. Collagen powder is made up of proteins (20 types of amino acids), vitamins (generally vitamin C) and minerals. It does not contain fats or sugars and, in addition, its caloric intake is very low.
If we talk especially about the skin, collagen provides the elasticity of our skin, the prevention of wrinkles and fine lines, and skin sagging.
On the skin level, collagen production in a body creates a substance that is easily absorbed by the body and supports other important substances like elastin and the super-moisturizing molecule, hyaluronic acid. They altogether work for skin improvement and support skin’s smooth, firm, hydrating, moisturizing and elasticity and many more.
What Are The Benefits Of Collagen For Skin?
As the main function of collagen is the maintenance of cell attachment and the toxicity of the skin fibres. So, it is beneficial in many ways for all age groups regardless of gender.
- High collagen levels improve the elasticity of the skin. It even helps to prevent stretch marks and cellulite. A better elasticity in the skin decreases the sagging of skin and tightens the skin cells.
- Reduce the wrinkles and fine lines for the skin.
- Boost the hyaluronic acid, another important protein. Hence reduce the dryness and improve hydration. A proper moisturisation can be provided by a healthy collagen level.
- It helps to reduce pigmentation and dark skin areas.
- Reduce skin inflammation and protect the skin from virus and bacteria attacks. Hence, the best way to get rid of acne and pimples problems.
- Strengthen nails and hair.
- Helps in weight control, as it is satiating
- Improves bones, tendons and cartilage.
- It can help treat diseases such as osteoporosis and more.
When And How To Take Collagen Powder?
Well, collagen production is managed by the body. But it is estimated that from the age of 30, collagen production begins to decrease in our body by 1% and thus progressively until old age. Hence, it is said that every woman and man should start using collagen powder after 30 to support the natural collagen synthesis in the body and increase the level of collagen level directly.
Well, age is not the only thing that affects collagen production. Other factors are also responsible for it, such as-
- Excess Sunlight: While some exposure of skin to sunlight is healthy for the body to boost vitamin D levels. But the excess sunlight exposure is also responsible for skin damage. Heavy sunlight and UV radiation damage the skin cells, damage free radicals as well as decrease the collage cells and production through the skin.
- Alcohol, Tobacco and Smoking: As we know, all three are dangerous for our health. In the way, they also damage the collagen and elastin cells that are essential for firm skin. Smoking and tobacco cause picker lines around the mouth and crow feet around the eyes as well as in other areas as well.
- Carbs And Sugar: Dirt or food products that break down the blood easily also affect the collagen level. Soda, White bread, etc are able to swiftly degrade into blood sugars, causing insulin levels to rise. This causes inflammation throughout your body, which causes collagen and elastin to break down. What’s the end result? Skin that is drooping and wrinkled as it ages.
For the intake of collagen powder for skin or collagen powder for hair or collagen powder for nails or etc, it is recommended to use 10g of collagen powder for 30 to 60 minutes before lunch. It is ideal to use with lukewarm water, milk or any smoothie or juice.
What Are The Effects?
The oral collagen supplements in the form of powder or anything, we have been talking about to use to relieve arthritis, aid in weight loss efforts, build muscle, and rejuvenate the skin. The use of collagen powder for a long period is recommended for a better and quicker result. It is not ideal to expect the effectiveness of collagen in just a few days. It is a natural process that works on the main roots of the problem, whether it is for skin, hair, nail or joints, etc.
Using a plant based collagen powder is best instead for going for collagen medicine and aesthetic surgery. Surgery and Aesthetic Medicine also help to correct small wrinkles or even increase cheekbones, giving elasticity to the skin and lips, creating a fleshy effect.