Anxiety is a natural reaction of human beings towards a stressful situation. However, constantly feeling overwhelmingly anxious or fearful is a psychological illness categorized as an anxiety disorder. This can lead to interference in the daily functioning of a person. Below are the causes, types, symptoms, and treatments for anxiety disorders that you should know.
Anxiety disorders can occur due to several reasons, including:
- Genetics and hereditary factors
- Alterations in brain physiology
- History of abuse, trauma, neglect, death of someone beloved, witnessing violence
- Substance abuse
- Underlying medical conditions like hyperthyroidism can imitate or aggravate anxiety symptoms
Certain factors can make you more prone to developing an anxiety disorder, including:
- History of mental disorders
- Severe or chronic illness that keeps you stressed all the time
- Shyness during childhood
- Low self-esteem
Types Of Anxiety Disorders
There are several different types of anxiety disorders.
- Generalized anxiety disorder: excessive worrying with minor or no reason
- Panic disorder: sudden, intense fear that leads to a panic attack. It feels like a heart attack or choking.
- Social anxiety disorder: excessive fear of others judging you or getting embarrassed.
- Phobias: Intense fear of specific things or places, like height, water, closed spaces, etc.
- Separation anxiety: being scared unrealistically when a beloved leaves the sight.
- Selective mutism: fear of talking in front of public or people other than family. This usually occurs in kids.
- Medication-induced anxiety: use or withdrawal of some drugs can lead to anxiety symptoms.
The common symptoms of an anxiety disorder include:
- Panic or fear
- Being unable to sleep
- Being unable to stay calm
- Tingling, cold, sweaty, or numb hands or feet
- Shortness of breath
- Dry mouth
- Tense muscles
- Avoiding places or people
- Inability to concentrate
Anxiety disorders can be treated with two types of treatment modalities.
- Psychotherapy: You can go to any Cognitive Behavioral Therapist Houston has to control your emotions.
- Medications: Modern anti-depressants are usually the first choice of drugs. However, other types of anti-depressants are also prescribed. Beta-blockers are also used to treat the physical symptoms of anxiety. In some cases, anti-psychotics and anti-convulsants are also prescribed in low doses.
In addition to these, you can manage your symptoms with some of these tips:
- Learn about your disorder as much as possible
- Strictly follow your treatment regimen
- Avoid caffeine
- Stay away from alcohol and other drugs
- Eat healthily and remain active
- Have adequate sleep
- Socialize with your friends
- Seek help from friends or support groups
Anxiety disorders are characterized by excessive worrying that is mostly unrealistic and irrational. It can be caused by genetic factors, history of stressful events, substance abuse, malfunction of brain parts, or underlying medical conditions.
There are several types of anxiety disorders, including generalized anxiety, panic disorder, social anxiety, separation anxiety, phobias, selective mutism, and medication-induced anxiety. The symptoms of anxiety include constant fear or panic, inability to sleep or calm down, cold, numb and tingling extremities, palpitations, etc.
The treatment focuses on helping people manage the symptoms through psychotherapy or medications. Additionally, you can also put some effort into managing your illness through lifestyle modifications, sticking to the treatment regimen, and seeking social help.